High energy density state generated by high-power and high-intensity laser and pulsed power can realize "extreme" conditions in the pressure and temperature which does not exist on the Earth. Astrophysical plasma is one of the most interesting applications of the high energy density science. Laboratory astrophysics is expected to reveal the fundamental physics of astrophysical phenomena by "experiment" as a new research method alternative to "observation" and "theory/simulation".
The HEDLA conference was basically held in the United States since the first meeting in 1996. The 10th meeting held in France was the first time to leave the US, but the 11th in 2016 was again held in the US. The HEDLA2018 in Kurashiki is the first meeting to be held in Japan.
Past Meeting Information:
- Dense Plasmas (EOS, warm dense matter, planetary interiors,…)
- Fluid and Collisional Plasmas (jets, turbulence, dynamos, instabilities,…)
- Transport and Atomic Processes (heat conduction, anomalous resistivity, diffusion, radiative transport, opacity, line shapes, photoionization,…)
- Collisionless Plasmas and Particle Acceleration (shocks, magnetic reconnection,…)
- New Frontiers (QED, pair plasmas, nuclear astrophysics, new experimental facilities, computing,…)
Astronomical Society of Japan
Japan Society of Plasma Science and Nuclear Fusion Research
Laser Society of Japan
Physical Society of Japan
Society of Geomagnetism and Earth, Planetary and Space Sciences
Kurashiki Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Welcome Reception at 18:00 on May 27 (Sun)
- Session begins at 8:30 on May 28 (Mon)
- Conference Banquet at 18:00 on May 30 (Wed)
- Session will end around 15:00 on Jun 1 (Fri)
Final Program (html with abstracts, pdf)
Presentation List (Updated on May 23)
Timetable (Updated on May 23)
- Invited Talk: 20 min talk + 5 min discussion
- Contributed Talk: 12 min talk + 3 min discussion
- The screen size is 4:3 basically. But the projector is also compatible with 16:9.
- Poster panel size is 210 cm (height) x 90 cm (width).
Confirmed Invited Speakers:
Total: 135 (11 Countries)
Japan 56, USA 26, France 22, UK 9, China 8, Germany 6, Taiwan 4, Hungary 1, India 1, Korea 1, Portugal 1
Conference proceedings will be published in a Virtual Special Issue of High Energy Density Physics. Anyone who gave a presentation (invited, contributed, and poster) at HEDLA2018 can submit a proceeding paper.
Instructions for Submission:
Go to EVISE system for HEDP and select “VSI: HEDLA2018”.
- The submission website for this journal is located at: https://www.evise.com/profile/api/navigate/HEDP
- To ensure that all manuscripts are correctly identified for inclusion into the special issue, it is important that authors select the name of the special issue when they upload their manuscripts: VSI: HEDLA2018
- There is no page limit.
Deadline for Paper Submission:
Jul 31, 2018
Sep 14, 2018
Please register at Tobu Top Tours' web site.
Early Bird, Regular Registration: 60,000 JPY
Early Bird, Student Registration: 30,000 JPY
Regular Registration: 65,000 JPY
Student Registration: 35,000 JPY
- 1 USD ≈ 110 JPY
- Conference Banquet fee is included in the regular and student registrations.
- Deadline for the registration: May 7 (Please make sure of your payment by May 7.)
- For the regarding of early bird, make sure of your payment by
April 9April 16 (extened due to a payment-system trouble).
- After May 8, the registration fee is nonrefundable.
- Note that on-site registration is cash only.
Please submit your abstract from the registration site.
- Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format (Maximum file size: 4 MB).
- Abstracts are limited to 1 page and should be formatted based on the HEDLA Abstract Template.
- Abstracts are text only. No figures, images, or tables are allowed.
Mar 16 (Invited, Oral, and Poster Presentation)
Apr 9 (Only for Poster Presentation)Thank you for so many submissions!
Kurashiki Kokusai Hotel
1-1-44, Chuo, Kurashiki, Okayama 710-0046, Japan (Map)
Kurashiki Visitor's Guide
Kurashiki Travel Guide
Getting to Kurashiki from Okayama Airport (OKJ)
Getting to Kurashiki from Kansai Airport (KIX)
- You should take a shuttle bus to Kurashiki.
- It costs 1,130 JPY and takes 35 min directly to Kurashiki Station. The conference site is about 15 min walk from the station.
- Timetable for the buses
- Typical way to Kurashiki from KIX is a JR train trip.
- It will cost about 8,000 JPY. At Kansai Airport Station (JR), you can buy the tickets for all the way to Kurashiki.
- You need to change trains twice at Shin-Osaka station and Okayama station.
- To Shin-Osaka Station: Take the Limited Express "Haruka".
- To Okayama Station: Take the Shinkansen (Bullet Train).
- To Kurashiki Station: Take a local train (JR Sanyo Line).
- You can check the time schedule of this route at HyperDia. (From: Kansai Airport, To: Kurashiki)
- A sample schedule
You can book a room at Tobu Top Tours' web site.
The Ohara Museum of Art is located right next to the conference site. They offer special museum tours for the HEDLA attendee before and after the usual exhibition hours. It costs 2,000 JPY whereas the normal fee is 1,300 JPY. This is because a curator will guide us and explain the exhibitions.
If you are interested in these tours, please send us an email with your preference, Evening Tour or Morning Tour.
- Evening Tour: 18:30 - 19:30 on May 29
- Morning Tour: 8:00 - 8:50 on May 31
Scientific Organizing Committee:
Tony BELL (U of Oxford, UK)
Paul BELLAN (Caltech, USA)
Serge BOUQUET (CEA, France)
Frederico FIUZA (SLAC, USA)
Pat HARTIGAN (Rice U, USA)
Ryosuke KODAMA (Osaka U, Japan) Chair
Michel KOENIG (LULI, France)
Carolyn KURANZ (Michigan U, USA)
Sergey LEBEDEV (Imperial College, UK)
Yutong LI (Institute of Physics, China)
Tomek PLEWA (Florida State U, USA)
Marc POUND (U of Maryland, USA)
Bruce REMINGTON (LLNL, USA)
Dongsu RYU (UNIST, Korea)
Youichi SAKAWA (Osaka U, Japan)
Hideaki TAKABE (HZDR, Germany)
Feilu WANG (NAOC, China)
Local Organizing Committee:
Yasuhiro KURAMITSU, Shuichi MATSUKIYO, Mamiko NISHIUCHI, Norimasa OZAKI,
Youichi SAKAWA (Chair), Takayoshi SANO, Keisuke SHIGEMORI, Ryo YAMAZAKI
hedla2018 (at) ile.osaka-u.ac.jp